“Link Building. Time-intensive. Frustrating. Sometimes confusing. Yet unavoidable. Because ultimately, it’s still the trump card for higher rankings.”
– Aaron Wall, SEO Book
Link Building in the Earlier Days
Since the late 2000's, Search Engines have used links as votes - representing the democracy of the web's opinion about what pages are important and popular.
Years ago, link building strategy consisted of generating about thousands of spam links. During those days, you could submit few keywords to certain websites, pay some cash and that was it. Within a few days, a ton of links would better your client’s search rankings.
Post the Penguin update from Google, it has become very difficult to get Search Engine rankings through link building. In fact, the update started hurting us.
- Low quality links
- Keyword stuffing
- Over optimised anchor texts
Change in Link Building Approach
Google removed all fake back-links to your website and start focusing on providing value and being of value within the marketplace.
- Initially, quantity mattered for quick and better results.
- But now, quality matters a lot.
What is the Solution?
- Avoid links from poor quality resources
- Avoid excessive use of keywords in Titles Descriptions and Content
- Avoid unnaturally high frequencies of exact match anchors
After few updates from Google, the Search Engine started providing more relevant results. It is said that becoming an authority plays a crucial role in securing high search rankings.
2. Maintain strong profiles
- Link building was always about social proofing.
- Profiles must be strong enough to reach out to the customers through shared links.
- Followers on Twitter or Facebook or LinkedIn, are a team of fans who can share content.
- As update suggests to stop:
- Bulk submission
- Same anchor text keywords
- Link back from low quality site
3. Concentrate More on Social Media
- 95% (or more) of links from SEO link building never bring a single new visitor to your website.
- Today, Social Media is the best way to achieve that goal online.
4. Find and Talk To Your Audience
- Here, your main focus should be to interact with your audience – not to build links.
- This is not just about Facebook or other popular social networks. We are talking about (but not limited to):
- Non-traditional social media: Reddit, Quora, LinkedIn Groups